Tuesday 4 October 2011

Venturing into Technology

I have to say that I am not what you'd call a technology 'wizard' - in fact I'm happier with paper and pencil than computers and mobile phones are just beyond me (I can text and make phone calls but much more than that and I'm foxed!).  However, in an attempt to be more technological I have now created a Twitter account : @MissEllieCreate.  I even managed to post my first 'tweet' - quite an achievement for me!

This weekend I went to Gibside (National Trust property) for their twice-monthly food and craft market.  I mainly go to get the most delicious marzipan fruit bread from a lady there and Mr Ellie likes to peruse the game stall and buy pigeon burgers and 'Squabbit' (squirrel and rabbit) pie.  I ended up spending quite a bit of money and had a good chat with many of the stall holders.  One day, I hope to have a stall there myself.  I came away with two HUGE slices of delicious frangipane tart, a jar of damson jam (the finest jam in the world in my humble opinion) and a needle-felting kit.

As soon as I got home, I got the needle-felting kit open - it comes with a piece of foam, a felting needle and a load of lovely carded wool tops in gorgeous colours.  Basically you take a piece of the wool and place it on the foam and then start stabbing away with the needle.  The principle is that the needle (which is barbed) forces the fibres of the wool to 'knit' together and this felts the wool.  It takes quite a bit of time and you have to keep turning the piece over to get a nice smooth finish but it is so worth it - talk about therapeutic!  I made a little black flower with a pink heart in the middle which could be made into a corsage or brooch - will post a photo.  Word of warning to anyone wanting to have a go with needle-felting, the needle is really really sharp!  I stabbed myself 3 times (you'd think I'd learn after the first time!) and have a very sore finger today!  I shan't be deterred though - I already started another piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment