Wednesday 29 January 2014

Musings on the various merits of Felis catus

Every day I get home from work to find my cats lounging either on blanket box next to the radiator in the lounge, or on our bed. Every day I mentally curse them as I cuddle them - I curse them for having the luck of being born a cat!  There is an ability which is inbuilt into the cat genetic code which has allowed them to perfect the art of pure, unadulterated, sloth.  The seven deadly sins clearly do not apply to cats.

Of course, when challenged about what their day has been like, our cats simply raise their head, yawn and then fix us with a penetrating stare as if to say "Cats were worshipped in Egypt once, we have not forgotten". Simply said, I am completely, 100% jealous of my cats. I also absolutely, unconditionally 100% love them. My two cats are called Binks (aka Binksy-pie, Stinkity-Binkity and Binkity-puss) and Yoda (aka Yodi, Yodipuss and Tiger).  They are sisters but couldn't be more different in both looks and personality.

Binksy (being camera shy) and Yodi (doing her best 'Supercat')
lounging on the blanket box & enjoying the hot radiator!
Binksy is black and white, of a 'curvaceous' build (a bit like her mammy!) and has the most independent spirit - she doesn't like to be picked up because she likes to always be in control and she very much chooses when we are to give her cuddles.  She is only really vocal when she is telling us off (after all its her house and we merely live there to serve her...) or occasionally if she wants something and has given up on trying to bend us to her will simply by starting at us! Binksy will always be the first to come to greet new people and establish whether they are to be accepted. Her brave, independent, cantankerous nature is what I love most about her.

Yodi is my beautiful tabby cat (with a couple of big tortoiseshell splodges) and is a complete cuddle-bunny. She is my shadow when I'm in the house, following me all over (even to the bathroom) and extremely affectionate.  She is far more chatty than Binksy and we have long conversations between us, especially on a morning when I'm trying to get ready for work and she's demanding her breakfast! She is a quiet, gentle soul and it takes her a long time to trust people - in fact when I first started seeing Mr Ellie, I didn't believe she existed as I didn't see her until I'd been to the house about 4 or 5 times! Now though, she and I are extremely close and she loves nothing more than being picked up and cuddled.

Like all sisters, most of the time they get on just fine but they do have their little spats every now and then. They both have their favourite toys (a green mouse for Binksy and a white mouse and a catnip fish for Yodi). Yodi is the more generous of the two and brings the white mouse to us every night (which is always fun to stand on in the middle of the night!). Both of them are very empathic and know exactly when I need a cuddle, especially if I'm feeling poorly.

So this blog is dedicated to my beautiful puss-cats, who have changed my life for the better x

Miss Ellie xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment